23 September 2010

Chicken 'Parmesan'

I used this recipe, which baffled me to begin with - there is absolutely no parmesan mentioned in that recipe. Oh well. I served it with rice because I noticed that I'd not served rice for the family at least since I started this blog!

Chopped 2 onions and 4 cloves of garlic. Fried in butter (we have run out of olive oil). Chopped a 1kg chicken breast into large chunks and added to the pan, along with 1 cup of balsamic vinegar - I misread the recipe and thought it said 3/4 instead of 1/4 cup balsamic, and rounded up accordingly! Left on a high heat, with some stirring, for about fifteen minutes.
Shredded 3 slices of brown bread into a bowl, added some melted butter, a handful of dusted Grana Padano, and salt+pepper. Mixed.
Added heaps of Italian herb mix, salt+pepper, a few handfuls of broccoli and cauliflower, and 2 tubs of passata. Left to simmer and bubble (on a medium high heat) while I boiled the kettle and sorted out enough rice for 8. Took the chicken pan off the heat, put the rice pan on, and ladled the chicken mixture equally into each dish. Coated heavily with grated mozarella, dusted Parmesan, and the breadcrumb mixture. Put in the oven for 20 minutes and served when the rice was cooked.

Very nice: kind of spicy and rich. The balsamic and parmesan flavours worked surprisingly well together to create a unique dish. The cheesy breadcrumb topping was delicious too. I was concerned that it wouldn't go too well with the rice but there wasn't much at all I would change about this dish.