26 October 2010

Chicken, Mash and Greens

We were running pretty low on food last night, and as we were both working till 10 neither of us were feeling the 'cooking' that much. After finding some curly mallow in the fridge, and this recipe on the internet, and discovering that I wanted mashed potato, dinner was easy. And delicious. Tom was less enthusiastic about the meal but I really enjoyed the flavours.

Unfortunately, my head is currently full of tonight's dinner and I'm not sure how much of last night's I can remember. I knew I should have written it down at the time!

Chicken, Mash and Greens
Serves 2 (with an extra serving of mashed potato)

2 garlic cloves
2 chicken breasts
1 handful of curly mallow
Oil
Curry powder
Vegetable stock
Milk
Sugar
1 handful of broccoli
Seasoning

6 or 7 potatoes
Vegetable stock
Milk
Butter
Seasoning

Chopped 2 garlic cloves and sliced the mallow into long strips. Mixed in a pan with chicken, oil, curry powder, vegetable stock and seasoning. Put on a low heat and stirred until browned. Made 300ml of vegetable stock with boiling water and a very tiny bit of milk - the amount I used didn't even cover the whole bottom of the jug. Poured in half and cooked for about ten minutes. Added the broccoli, more of the stock, and poured the rest of the stock into the potato pan. Added some sugar to taste and kept on the heat until the broccoli was cooked through and the sauce had reduced a little. It was still very thin but thick enough to eat.

In the meantime, Tom peeled the potatoes and boiled them with a little bit of vegetable stock and seasoning. I mashed them with lots of milk and butter and more seasoning.