07 October 2010

Pesto Spaghetti with Egg

Written on 3 October.

One of the exciting things about our new flat is that it has a gas stove.

I say 'exciting.' I've never cooked with a gas stove beforenever – and although I'm sure that by the end of the year I won't be able to live without it, at the moment I'm not relishing the sense of hurry it makes while I'm cooking. It's not just that preheating gives me a few minutes extra to chop, it's that everything seems to cook so much quicker on gas than electric anyway, and I've gotten used to a slow, happy pace in the kitchen. I imagine the fact that I'm suddenly cooking for two instead of eight has something to do with it as well.

Oh well!

When I was struggling to get to sleep last night, I planned tonight's dinner. This was the only contender that I actually dreamed about, so hey presto, I made it. There was a bit of a bug nightmare with the first lot of spaghetti I planned on cooking, but let's not talk about that. In the end it was nice, with enough each for seconds (although you'd have to do another egg, or go without), but I doubt it'll be a regular meal as pesto is not widely available here. I would like to do this again with home-made pesto, and with softly poached rather than fried eggs.

Oh, and this satisfies the campaign my boyfriend and father are running, called “More Eggs in Food.”

Pesto Spaghetti with Egg
Serves 2

250g spaghetti
2 eggs
Pesto
White wine
Herbs (rosemary, basil)
Seasoning

I boiled the spaghetti with salt in boiling water until al dente, which probably took about eight minutes. Drained the spaghetti, reserving a splash of cooking water, and poured both into a glass dish. Mixed with three tablespoons of pesto, a glug of white wine, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper, stirring through all the while. Covered.
Each egg was fried in a hot pan with a dribble of oil. Pasta was served into bowls and eggs dolloped on top.