05 January 2011

Chocolate-Chilli Cookies with a Hint of Lime

First things first: this is not a recipe.

Oh, at first glance it may look like a recipe, but actually it's not. It's something that I threw together after coming home from yoga feeling hungry and fancying something more than just plain chocolate. I used the dregs from both the flour and sugar packets (I got through an entire kilogram of flour in the past week - something I'm oddly proud of) so have no idea how much any of that was. And I just cut off bits of butter off the stick rather than taking any measurements, so ditto there. Basically, here are some guidelines to making some awesome cookies.

Second: don't use parchment paper. Grease the bottom of a baking tray or something. Otherwise this might happen to you.

Cookies refusing to part from baking paper.
Why yes, I am sitting here eating around the paper on the cookies. And I don't recommend it.

These cookies are delicious and feel very adult, in a way that normal chocolate chip cookies don't. They tease your tongue slightly, and have a great depth to them, while the lime adds just a hint of fruitiness. I love them, despite the fact that they are partly made of paper.

Chocolate-Chilli Cookies with a Hint of Lime
(Printable Recipe)
Makes as many cookies as the recipe you use (13 for me)

Cookie ingredients from your favourite cookie recipe
(I googled "no egg cookies" and came up with this)
70g milk chocolate
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
Lime juice

Make your cookie dough. Bash the chocolate about a bit until it is in chunks, and add it to the dough. I put my chocolate in a plastic bag and hit it with the chilli tub until it was in bits, some of which were still quite large. Yum.


Add the chilli to the dough and stir it through again, trying to distribute it as evenly as possible. Take small bits of the dough and roll into balls before pressing them flat into discs.



Put each disc on a greased baking tray and sprinkle with a couple of drops of lime juice. Bake at 180 degrees (360 Fahrenheit) for twelve minutes.