17 February 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream

I was a complete fool yesterday and made a really nice dinner - the planned title of the blog post was written in my notebook at work - and completely forgot to photograph the final dish. Hence the yoghurt chicken with orange and clove shall wait for another day. In the meantime, let's have some ice cream.

The original recipe revealed itself to me on Tasty Kitchen's Valentine-themed (ugh) front page yesterday. I don't have any red food colouring (or any food colouring at all, which is the only reason I didn't make this cake for my birthday) but I thought it made a pretty good idea anyway. The ice cream tastes a bit unusual but is very nice.

It's also very easy. Not as easy as my other ice cream recipe, true, but I found the recipe half an hour before I went to work, and had enough time to make it and eat lunch.

Edit: Before eating, break some dark chocolate into shards and stir them through the ice cream. It improves the ice cream exponentially.

Cake Batter Ice Cream
Makes 6 servings

3 egg yolks
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup milk

2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cream

In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar.



Mix the milk and coconut milk in a pan and heat over a low flame until it starts to steam.


Immediately take the pan off the heat and pour half of the milk into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk until very few lumps remain, and then pour back into the pan.


Cook for three to five minutes longer, until thickened. The original recipe suggests cooking "until you can run your finger across a rubber spatula dipped in the custard and it leaves a trail", which is more intuitive than it sounds!

Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the cocoa and vanilla.

Wipe the egg yolk bowl out, and pour the mixture into it.


Add one cup of cream; do not stir.


It will go all marbled and pretty!

Cover and chill in the fridge for at least three hours - I left mine for about eight.


Churn the mixture with a fork and put in the freezer. Every thirty minutes or so, remove and churn again. Do this three or four times before leaving the ice cream overnight to freeze through.