21 November 2010

Easy Chicken

Oh my god, this has been a horrific weekend. This morning we woke up hearing scratchy noises, which turned out to be a rat. A rat. A rat in our kitchen. I am so angry and upset and - argh. This is my worst nightmare.

So, to try and distract myself while Tom and the bus driver try to get rid of the little bastard, this is what we had for dinner last night. We discovered that cream cheese was being sold '2 for 1' at Home Plus yesterday (5300W for two packs instead of one!) so dinner was basically a big pile of cream cheese. The pasta didn't turn out brilliantly, funnily enough, and could have used more sauce. Before sprinkling grated cheese on top I could have added more cream cheese, or yoghurt or milk, to make it less dry but we were hungry enough not to care too much. Also, baked chicken stuffed with cream cheese is possibly the best thing I've ever tasted. I've made it before here and here.

We also bought a garlic sauce, which has quite a lot of heat, and used it liberally throughout this dish. Like I said, 'easy chicken.' It probably wouldn't be too hard to blend lots of garlic with chilli, oil and perhaps some cream to make something similar, although I haven't attempted that myself yet.

Cream Cheese Chicken and Pasta
Serves 2

200g pasta
80g cream cheese
2 tablespoons garlic sauce
Boiling water
Seasoning
Grated cheese

2 chicken breasts
20g cream cheese
1 tablespoon garlic sauce
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
Handful of grated cheese
Handful of chopped onion
Seasoning

I put the uncooked pasta into a glass baking dish and added enough boiling water to just cover. The cream cheese, garlic sauce and seasoning went in also, and the pasta was baked at 200 degrees (390 Fahrenheit) for 40 minutes. The chicken breasts were slit open to make a pocket. The cream cheese was mixed with garlic sauce, mustard, cheese, onion, salt and pepper, and stuffed into the chicken. The chicken was baked for ten minutes while the pasta sat on top of the oven; the pasta was sprinkled with cheese and both were baked for a further ten.