05 December 2010

Chocolate Chip Pie Bars

It's the weekend! And last night I dreamt about chocolate chip pie. I read something about it in the week before Thanksgiving, when I was reading pretty much every recipe that has ever existed, and for some reason the chocolate chip pie one stayed in my brain and formed itself into a dream.

I actually have a history of baking things because I dreamt about them. In our second year, I dreamt that we had to bake a super chocolate cake to defeat the Nazis. Once actually made, that cake would have defeated the Nazis. It almost defeated us.

So this pie. I typed "chocolate chip pie recipe" into Google and clicked on the first link. Then I went on a pie dough hunt, which I think was eventful but which was probably just boring, and used the dough from this. I didn't roll the dough out to line the pie tray, because I am lazy and it makes so much mess, but luckily the pie turned out really well. We sliced it into ten bars and have been happily eating them all day.

Chocolate Chip Pie Bars
Makes 10 bars

1 and 1/2 cups flour (I originally used 1 and 1/4 but had to add more later)
1/2 cup brown sugar
10 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 large pack of dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix the flour, sugar and butter in a blender until it forms a clumpy dough. Dissolve the salt in the water, add it to the blender, and pulse a few times more. Scrape the dough into tupperware and chill for one hour.

Mix the sugar, flour, eggs, melted butter, chocolate chips and vanilla in a separate bowl. Leave to stand until the dough is ready.

Flour the bottom of a baking tray lightly and drop the dough into it. Using the heel of your hand, spread the dough out until it covers the tray. Bake at 180 degrees (360 Fahrenheit) for fifteen minutes. Pour the chocolate chip mixture on to the dough and bake for forty minutes at the same temperature. My tray was about half an inch too big for my oven, so I had to bake it with the door open. I cooked it for twenty minutes, turned it around, and continued cooking for another twenty minutes.

Cut the pie into bars. If served immediately, they are gooey and lovely; later they are more like cookies. Both ways work!