01 January 2011

Golden Tomato Sauce

Happy New Year!

We've been away! And you can read all about it here. Sadly I have no food information to add to my experience, because we ate sandwiches that we'd brought with us, except for when we ate sweet and sour pork from a Chinese restaurant. I ate almost all of the crescent pastries. Those are definitely on the make-again list. (One thing that isn't in the travel blog, though, is how much time I spent in the car daydreaming about bacon jam. Bacon jam. I can't wait to make bacon jam.)

So we got back and I decided to make tomato sauce from scratch, because we'd bought some mini golden tomatoes on Wednesday and I was too excited to wait any longer. I've made tomato sauce from scratch before and loved it; the recipe from 101 Cookbooks has been calling out to me for a while.


Golden Tomato Sauce
(Printable Recipe)
Makes 2 servings

About 30 golden mini tomatoes
(the package doesn't have a weight label on it!)
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon tomato paste
3 teaspoons herbs (optional)
Seasoning

Slice each of the tomatoes in half and run your finger along the inside to get rid of the seeds. Keep the seeds in a small bowl for later.

Seed liquid, halved tomatoes, and more tomatoes waiting to be deseeded.
Either chop your tomatoes and garlic finely, or be a cheat like me and blend them together (in two batches). Transfer the mixture to a pan and heat through on low, adding tomato paste and herbs if desired. I would have left the sauce as it was, but Tom isn't the world's biggest tomato fan, so I added a teaspoon each of basil, oregano and parsley to liven things up a bit for him. Season to taste.

If the mixture gets too thick for your liking, add the seed liquid, one teaspoon at a time. After a few minutes the sauce will be cooked - cook for longer if you want it to be further reduced.