14 March 2011

Onion-Stuffed Chicken with Homemade Chips

Last night, Tom pretty much made this dinner while I talked to my parents and brother on Skype. I cut some of the potatoes, spooned the relish into the chicken, and stretched out the bacon. And promised my brother that I wouldn't say anything embarrassing about him on this blog. For example, I definitely wouldn't mention that time when he got really drunk on a couple of bottles of beer and my dad and I had to go and pick him up from god-knows-where and manhandle him into the car with judgemental neighbours looking on. But if I did, the wonderful thing about this medium is that if he tried to retort with tales of my drunken misdemeanours in comments, I could theoretically just delete it!

Speaking of comments, if you have any feedback - on this recipe, or another, or the blog in general - I'd love to hear from you. It makes my day when people take the time to let me know they've tried a recipe, even if it didn't work that well.

So on to today's recipe: even though I wasn't the main cook for this, it was still my idea, and a bloody good idea at that. The idea was to stuff chicken with onion relish, wrap it in bacon, and serve it with homemade chips (fries or wedges, if you prefer). I bought some onion relish recently but I gather it would be fairly easy to make from scratch - I will be having a go at it, probably using this recipe, once my jar's run out. Then again, chicken is very good stuffed with anything. Maybe caramelize some onions and use that instead of making a whole jar of onion marmalade. Your choice.


Onion-Stuffed Chicken with Homemade Chips
Serves 2

For the chips:
5 potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
5 tablespoons of oil
Seasoning

For the chicken:
2 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons onion relish
4 bacon rashers
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1 tablespoon oil
Seasoning


Peel all of the potatoes and cut them into wedges. Put in a pan on the stove with boiling water, and simmer for ten minutes.

Once tender, drain and toss with the oil (yes, you're going to need a lot) and seasoning. Roast at 180 degrees (360 Fahrenheit) for fifty minutes. Flip the wedges every so often.

If the chips aren't crispy enough for your taste after fifty minutes, turn the heat up to 200 (390 F) or 220 (430 F) and cook for five to fifteen minutes, checking regularly to make sure they don't burn.

In the meantime, cut a large pocket into the thicker side of each chicken breast, and stuff each with one tablespoon of the onion relish, or whatever onion mixture you're going for.

Pull each bacon rasher under the back of a knife to stretch it, and then wrap two rashers around each chicken breast. Season each with salt, pepper, and half a teaspoon of mixed herbs.

Douse with the remaining tablespoon of oil and roast with the chips at 180 degrees (360 Fahrenheit) for twenty minutes. It is a good idea to put the chicken in once the chips have been cooking for thirty minutes, or forty minutes if you know that you are a fan of crispy chips.

Serve with mayonnaise.