08 October 2010

Peanut Sauce

I've decided to add a new label to my blog: oven-free. Living in Hawai'i and South Korea, where ovens are scarce, and to a lesser degree when I was unable to use the main oven in Germany, I've had to make a lot of stovetop meals (and will be making more for a while to come yet). It's difficult to find meals that satisfy a no-oven requirement, and time-consuming, because often you have to read the entire recipe to find out what the food is cooked in. Since I started reading food blogs about a year ago, I have been wishing that my favourite websites would include an oven-free category, and what other way to make this happen than to start the trend myself!?

Last night we tried Korean rice pasta, which was quite stodgy and flavourless, with Korean dumplings (all store-bought). We did, or rather I did, make our own peanut sauce though, with a mixture of cinnamon and chilli flavourings. Here it is.

Spiced Peanut Sauce
Serves 4ish

Butter
1 onion
Half a jar of peanut butter (I used crunchy)
Milk
Chilli and cinnamon spices
Seasoning

Chop one onion, and fry one-third to one-half of it in butter. Add the peanut butter and the milk (for however much sauce you are serving - less, thicker sauce is better than more thin sauce) and stir until the peanut butter has melted. Add more peanut butter and/or milk if necessary. Add one-third to one-half of the onion - if there is any left, save it for another meal. Simmer until heated and quite thick. Add some chilli and cinnamon spice along with seasoning, stir, and leave to incorporate on the heat for a few minutes. Serve.

I also used my risotto recipe for lunch today, although experimented with a flavour mixture of balsamic and thyme. Unfortunately, I overdid it on the pepper, so can't really report on the success of that combination yet.