01 April 2011

Pasta Florentine

You have no idea how much I wish I'd cracked an egg into this dish, just so I could call it carbonara florentine. I love dish names - I'm seriously considering making a pineapple crumble, even though I hate pineapple, because it has a cool name - and 'pasta florentine' just doesn't have the right ring. Why don't you try it with an egg and get back to me on how it works?

Without the egg, it was really good. I enjoyed it immensely and hope you do too.

Pasta Florentine
Serves 2

2 servings pasta
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons seasoned flour
4 rashers bacon
1 handful spinach or other green leaf
1 individual-serving-sized pot plain yoghurt
1/2 cup cream
25ml rum
Seasoning

Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.

Chop the onion and garlic and fry in the butter over a medium heat.

Cut the chicken into chunks, dredge in seasoned flour, and add to the onion and garlic pan.


Once the chicken is seared, snip the bacon rashers into lardons directly over the pan. Add seasoning, including mixed herbs, and continue frying for about five minutes.

Slice the spinach into ribbons and add it to the pan. Stirring regularly, continue to fry.

Once the spinach is entirely wilted, add the yoghurt and cream. Heat through before adding the shot of rum.


Season, and allow to simmer over a low flame for up to ten minutes.

Serve with the pasta.